Being single is not a life sentence. It is not something to be dreaded. However most of us feel that it is the worst thing that can ever happen in our lives. We fear being alone. We equate being single to loneliness.
But single life can also be fun and exciting. There are so many things that a person can do enjoy doing when he or she is single. Single life can be happy, if you choose to be happy.
Have the Right Mindset
While you watch your bffs who have beaus and feel sorry for yourself, other singles out there are having a time of their lives. They are having adventures and living life to the fullest. The good news is you can do it.
But before you can start enjoying single life, you must first have the proper mindset. You need to know how to be happy just by being alone. Yes I mean it, being alone. Not being with friends or family but enjoying time with yourself. Why? Because truly appreciating your own company is the key to a happy single life.
1. Go on a date with yourself – Well you need to learn how to enjoy your own company. You need to feel less and less longing to have other people surround you all the time. Most of the singles who are lonely about their lives are the ones who do not know how it is to be alone.
So go out, watch a movie by yourself. Buy yourself that giant pizza you want and eat it. Take pics of yourself eating and enjoying. Then go shopping or play games at the arcade.
2. Cherish your inner child – Remember when you were a kid and you’d play alone? You had so much fun just playing make belief. Yes you had fun with your playmates but your alone play time was the best. Now you need to find that. Find the spark you once lost. And reclaim it!
Your inner child yearns for you. Through years and years of work, pressures and stress, you forgot about him or her. You have put your inner child aside. Now if you go pick him or her up again, you will learn to enjoy life with or without someone beside you.
3. Don’t compare your life – Many people feel dissatisfied with what they have because they always think that there is something greater out there. They pine while they browse facebook looking at the pictures of their friends going on romantic dates and getting married. But what they don’t know is that their married friends also envy them!
Never compare your life journey with others. Some people get married, some have kids, some are single, some are gay and some are straight. Everybody has something different on their plates.
If you keep on comparing your life, you will never ever be happy!
4. Live! – OK so now you know the basic mindset that you should have. First is being happy alone, then embracing your inner child and lastly is contentment. Now you need to do step four, the most difficult step: LIVE.
Life is not just meant to be dreamt about, it is meant to be lived.
Stuff Singles Can Do
Being single can fun and fabulous. You can do so many things and enjoy your life. You can go places that you can’t just go to if you are in a relationship or if you have a family. You can manage your own time and work on yourself while you are single.
1. Travel solo – A long long time ago, people did not see traveling solo as a fun thing. Well that was till travel bloggers started posting fun stuff that they have been doing while they are alone on a trip.
2. Work on your Skills – Learn how to cook or learn how to speak French. You can take up a new course to enhance your skills at work. You have the time. Do something to improve yourself.
3. Spend time with your friends – Have you ever thought about your friends whom you haven’t seen for some time? Well now is the time to catch up with them. A lot of times people who are in a relationship don’t spend time anymore with their pals because they just want to hangout with their beau.
4. Get a pet – Okay, I get that you want someone to cuddle with or someone to hangout with at home. Well you can. Adopt a dog or a cat from a shelter. They will love you unconditionally.
5. Pamper yourself – You don’t need anyone’s permission to go to the salon or the spa. You can go there by yourself and treat yourself to some pampering. I promise it would make you feel fab and happy (and less stressed).
Honestly, there is a hundred million things you can do by yourself. You can travel, eat, go bungee jumping, learn how to cook or do whatever you want. The key here is having the courage to live life and being happy with or without someone.
Remember that a partner should never complete you, they should just complement you. You should learn how to be complete by yourself. And if you put your happiness on someone else, you’ll never ever be truly be happy.